Landlord registration

Under Part 8 of the Antisocial Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Act 2004, almost all private landlords must apply for registration with their local authority. Anyone who owns residential property in Scotland which is let must apply to register with the local authority for the area where the property is located.

The repairing standard

The Scottish Executive has set up a Private Rented Housing Committee where tenants will be able to contact the Committee if they feel their landlord has failed to respond to their requests for a repair. Before your tenant can submit an application to the Committee he or she must have notified you that the work needs to be carried out and you must be given a reasonable time to carry out such repairs.

Energy performance

An energy performance certificate shows how energy efficient your home is, conducted by a property surveyor. It must be completed on your home every 10 years. However, it is a good idea to get this re-done if you have had any alterations to your home that may improve the energy rating you receive.


A landlord’s gas safety certificate must be completed on the property by a registered gas safe engineer. This will check that the gas appliances are safe for a tenant’s occupation. This check is due annually.


All electrical appliances must be checked throughout your property before a tenant’s occupation. It is recommended that an electrical check is done in between tenancies to ensure tenant safety. Again a registered electrician must carry this out and provide you with an N.I.E.C report.


Make sure before you leave any furniture behind that they meet fire safety regulations. (Most furnishings come with certificates or tags that inform you of its safety).  It is an offence to supply a tenant with any furnishings that do not meet regulations.

Smoke alarms

Your property must be fitted with hard-wired smoke alarms if it was built after 1991. However, in older properties, it is now illegal to replace a broken smoke alarm with battery operated alarm.  A hard-wired smoke detector should be fitted by a qualified electrician and should be re-checked in between tenancies. One smoke alarm is required for each floor of the property.

Call Now